An Application has been submitted by Wisley Property Inv. Ltd to Guildford Borough Council to build 2100 homes on Wisley Airfield, as well as a school (not secondary), care home and shops. In addition, a 120-acre countryside area, football pitches and a 4G hockey pitch are envisaged. It would be the third largest settlement in the Guildford Borough area and about half the size of Cobham.
Wisley Airfield is on the opposite side of the A3 to RHS Wisley Gardens and is in the proximity of Downside, Ockham, Hatchford and Elm Corner and is in the Metropolitan Green Belt.
If this were approved, there would be a very adverse effect on all of the nearby areas including Cobham, Downside, Stoke d'Abernon and Oxshott.
If you wish to object, the closing date for objections is 31 March 2015 and the following are some of the reasons for objection you might like to consider:
• The urbanisation of a rural area with a negative impact on major and local roads and lanes, light pollution, air pollution, traffic, infrastructure.
• Impact on the openness of the Metropolitan Green Belt and the negative impact on and from the Surrey Hills (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty).
• No demonstration of the very special circumstances required to change Green Belt policies.
• Unacceptable reliance on motor vehicles in the absence of sufficient public transport.
• Insufficient account taken of impact on traffic and infrastructure (schools, GP surgeries, hospitals and public services) already stretched to the limit.
• Development Density is far in excess of surrounding neighbourhoods/villages
• Impact on the water table which could result in flooding of neighbouring historic properties.
• It is planned to restrict traffic or close Ockham Lane, Plough Lane and Elm Lane and to make Old Lane and Guileshill Lane one way. How does this impact existing local residents and have they been consulted in advance?
If you believe that any or all of these issues are unacceptable, you are urged to write or email and object quoting No: 15/P/00012 to the Head of Planning Services, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB or to
no later than 31 March 2015.
You may like to view additional information at the Wisley Action Group website: wisleyactiongroup.co.uk
Article provided on behalf of the Cobham & Downside Residents' Association, Cobham Green Belt Group and the Cobham Conservation and Heritage Trust