Unveiling of the Memorial Plaque - April 2009
Avenue of Remembrance The Tilt, Cobham
Unveiling of the Memorial Plaque Sunday 26th April 2009
A memorial plaque was unveiled at the Avenue of Remembrance to remember those who lost their lives in the Second World War.
Under a clear blue sky the ceremony began at 12 noon with a march from Downside Bridge Road by members of the Royal British Legion led by the Hook Scout and Guide band. The marching party made their way up Church Street and down past Cobham Mill to the Tilt. During the march the Cobham Band played at the Tilt to entertain the hundreds of people who had arrived to pay their respects.
The memorial plaque was unveiled by the Mayor of Elmbridge, Councillor Nigel Cooper and a wreath placed beside it by Ian Taylor MP, OBE, Member of Parliament for Esher & Walton. The Last Post was played followed by two minutes silence during which members of the Royal British Legion read out the names of those commemorated.
Following the Blessing by the Reverend Robert Jenkins, Mr Gerry Acher handed over the Deed of Gift of the Memorial Plaque from the Cobham Conservation and Heritage Trust to Mr Robert Moran, Chief Executive of Elmbridge Borough Council, to be held on behalf of the Community.
Invited guests included many of the relatives of the those who died including one lady who was present at the original ceremony in 1946.
The Avenue of Remembrance was originally planted with forty cherry trees in 1946 by the Cobham Village Women's Institute. Each tree commemorated a member of the armed forces from Cobham who had died during the Second World War. The dedication took place on Sunday 24th February 1946.
At that time, each tree had a metal collar giving details of the member of the forces, but over time some of the trees have died and all but three of the collars have disappeared.
Cobham's official war memorial listing all those who lost their lives in both World Wars is within the Memorial Chapel at St Andrews's Church, Downside Bridge Road, Cobham.
The Trust, working with Elmbridge Council and with the support of the Cobham Evening Women's Institute, Royal British Legion (Cobham Branch) and St Andrew's Church Cobham has reinstated the trees and commissioned the granite plaque placed on the Tilt just near the shelter, by the junction of the Stoke Road and Leigh Hill Road.
The plaque explains the importance of the trees and lists those service people originally commemorated by each tree.
The Committee of the Cobham Conservation and Heritage Trust would like to thank everyone who participated in this important event for our Community.